3.30.2010

Screen Revamp

Saturday I started re-finishing this lovely divider I found at D.I. for $5!


I think about 20 million people had these at their weddings a couple of years ago, filled with little pictures of the bride and groom as kids, because I see them at D.I. all the time. Well obviously this one was a piece of junk. It had 11 missing glass/matt combinations, but I had a vision for it! I left with people starring at me, I swear thinking that girl is crazy to buy that... but just wait till you see what I did with it :)

First we took out the remaining glass/mat combo's. And then cleaned it up. We took it outside and re-spray painted it black to hide the nick's and dings. After it looked like this:


Ahhh already so much better! The next thing we did was cut a bunch of cardboard to fit the square holes. I just used one of the mat's as a stencil.


Then we kept on cutting. First was the batting cut a 1/2 inch smaller than the cardboard on all sides.


Then you are going to combine the cardboard with one pice of batting. I used tape to keep it down... I wanted to save my fingers as long as possible from the hot glue. Dun dun dun!





The next thing you will do is cut your fabric and hopefully you have a nice husband like me that will iron it ALL for you.


Then your going to cover your cardboard/batting combination with fabric. Just fold it over like a present and hot glue the sides down!




Then ( I have no picture of this, bad blogger, SORRY!) You are going to sow a button in the front/middle of the rectangle. It makes a nice little dip in the front... then Cover and glue down the back with more fabric, to hide the ugly cardboard :)
Stick the cardboard piece's in the divider. They fit right in so you don't need to glue them in or anything! And TA-DA you have a beautiful new divider!


Here's a close up!




Have a wonderful Tuesday and Happy divider hunting :)


4 comments:

  1. It looks really nice! I still have one of these from my wedding a few years ago - just like you said! LOL! Cool use for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I always loved them with pictures but when I found this one missing a bunch of pieces I just thought this idea up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent redo! At one Christmas craft show, we hung hand made ornaments in the empty openings of a screen like this in front of our booth. It was a show stopper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have really made me want to pull mine out of the basement! I have broken some panes of glass in the moves, so I may just have to copy cat this one! so cute!

    ReplyDelete